Hmmm… So much going on that I’m not even sure where to start. How did I get to be the person that has a bazillion projects, obligations, and more? It has always been my goal not to be that person and yet, here I am. I have become the mom that always forgets the kids’ projects and snacks. It isn’t the end of the world but it does get frustrating.
We are planning a vacation so that is on my mind constantly. This is a big trip so there is air travel, trains, and hotels to consider while travelling. Not to mention animal care for while we are gone. This is when it would be nice to live much closer to family. No such luck so we do what we can.
I’m excited about this trip. It will be my youngest’s first big trip. We have a 3 hour drive, 9 hour flight, a 2 hour flight, a 5 hour train ride, and a 1 hour car trip to get to our destination. Should be entertaining with two young children. Actually it should be a lot of fun. I love travelling with my kids. Of course there are moments when we all need some space away from each other, but for the most part they are a joy to travel with.
Our goal is to have each of us pack a backpack. We are only traveling for a week and there is a washer and dryer on the other end to use. There are some things we need to deliver so I don’t know if we will be completely successful. In general we will have some clothes, our entertainment, and our travel documents. I feel like we can do this because our kids are a bit older now being 6 and 8. Maybe not all 6 and 8 year-olds could do this, but these two I think can. They both enjoy being responsible for their own stuff and helping us out.
If you are like me you are asking, “So, what are you taking?” We are four people. Two boys, two girls.
Here is what our packing list looks like:
- Pants 3 pair for the kids 2-3 for us adults, us girls mostly in leggings because they pack beautifully. 1 pair of jeans will be in there as well for everyone.
- Shirts 3-5 each
- underwear 5 pair
- socks 5 pair (we don’t want to have to wash these or undies every day)
- a thin blanket (the kids) or scarf (me) for the plane
- 1 sweatshirt or sweater
- 1 longsleeve
- a pair of sweat pants/lounge pants/after being out in the cold cozy clothes
- 1 rain jacket
- electronics and chargers – we’ll each have a phone or tablet and we’ll need chargers and ear buds. We are also experimenting with a power pack and we of course need adapters as we are travelling to Europe.
- small supply kit of clothes line and sewing items
- journals/sketchbook/coloring books
- kids will have homework
- 1 small “pet” (stuffed animal) per kid
- glasses – both prescription and sunglasses
- gloves because it is still cold here and there
- 1 pair good walking shoes that we’ll wear to travel in
- 1 pair of slip on comfy shoes for evenings
Toiletries – All travel size to make airline travel easy. I will have 1 bag and my husband will have 1 so we can get a fair amount of stuff in there:
- toothpaste 1-2 small tubes we’ll all share
- 1 hairbrush the kids and I will share this
- my makeup (this doesn’t take up much space since I wear very little)
- shampoo/conditioner (normally we would get some there but we’ll be in a hotel mid-way and we want to be able to freshen up. 1 set for the girls 1 for the boys.)
- perfume/cologne in small sample size
- lotion because winter and airplanes
- small thing of Neosporin and band-aids
- baby wipes – do wonders for spills and sticky fingers
- hair ties – long hair and I hate to have it in my face
I think this is all of it. I will try to note what gets used and what doesn’t. You’ll notice I don’t take jewelry. I don’t wear a lot to start with and after travelling in some areas of the world I’ve learned it is just better without it. I’ll have a watch on, a single copper bracelet that I always wear, and a single pair of earrings that I always wear.
I’ve taken photos of our documents and backed those up too.
We shall see how it all goes. Off to our adventuring!