With our spring snow storms we are more white and brown than green. The drought doesn’t help either. I see little bits of green here and there. I’ll be interested to see what the pasture does this year. If we actually get some grass I may let the neighbors graze it with their horses. We might have to work out some sort of deal. Of course we have to see what we get for grass and our own critters.
At least the snow melted a lot yesterday. We only have large patches now instead of it all being snow. The garden is all mud. I’m not even going to try to mess with anything in there right now. It would mess up the soil something fierce. So I’ll continue to wait to plant. At the rate things are going I may be putting my seedlings out at the same time I’m planting seeds in the garden. I usually get a few seeds in first. I haven’t really been able to do that. Oh, and the kale and carrot seeds I started in containers? They came up and then I think they dried out and are kaput. The garlic was doing okay but I don’t know how it has fared all this snow. I think it would be okay in the ground but in a container I’m not sure.
I had gotten a few peas in the garden along with the asparagus, shallots, and onions. I have herbs that are ready — shoot! I left them out last night. I hope they didn’t croak.— to plant. Well, since I just remembered that they are on the porch they may not be ready anymore. Sage and thyme are pretty hardy but they’ve been inside and protected for the last two weeks. Oops. I hate when I do that stuff. One of the many things I do that should go on the list of “what not to do.”
I guess we’ll just see what the day brings. As the sun is coming up it looks like it will be a beautiful day. I’m hoping we’ll get some more snow melted and a little dried out. I’d like to get going on the painting of my chicken coop since that needs done before we put it together. It needs to warm up and dry out for the paint to have any hope of curing correctly. I’m excited to get going on the coop. Once that is done we can get it put in place and get ready for chickens. I only want a few so I’m going to have to keep an eye out this summer. Feed stores and the like don’t carry chicks in June/July and most of the hatcheries won’t ship under a certain number for the chicks safety. That would be fine other than I only have a coop for about 3 birds. I wonder if there are some of the other gals I know that might want some birds. I guess I’ll have to ask in July when I’m ready for them.